December 17, 2016
1:15pm to 4:30pm
- Cand I moved the model from its storage location to a work bench. The part that had been assembled was reasonably easy for two people to
carry and lift onto the work bench.
- C and I spent half an hour
- going over the plans
- deciding where the assembled parts went - the internal sub-frame on which the engine compartment is mounted caused some discussion
- Hand sanded the sub-frame and the two short pieces of flat steel to remove the surface rust and flaky paint.
- Applied one coat of black
Wattyl Killrust Super Etch Primer to the sanded parts (need to check if Super was included in the title)
- Removed one complete wheel and truck set. Threaded bolts had been used to mount the set to the frame. C recommended that these be
replaced with fitted bolts.
- Learnt about
- Close, press and interference fits
- Transfer punches
December 26, 2016
- Bring home one or more of the following for sanding
- Roof of engine compartment
- One complete wheel and truck set
- Find out C's schedule in January
- Think about what else of the required work can be done at home
What was delivered
The model consisted of the following parts when it was delivered
- The rectangular frame, made from mild steel rectangular tubing
- Two complete truck and wheel sets
- Two electric motors
- A drip tray for under the radiator. Made from light aluminium
- Two drive chains that connect the axles to the motors
- The radiator and front grill
- The wooden floor of the cab
- The wooden panelling for the outside layer of the cab walls.
- Part of the inner layer of the cab walls. Made from plywood.
- The front of the engine compartment. This attaches to the back of the radiator. Made from wood
- The rear of the engine compartment. Made of wood
- The front panel of the cab. This attaches to the rear of the engine compartment. Made from wood
- A cowl that attaches to the back of the front panel of the cab. Serves as a small wind break. Made from plastic and perspex
- The top of the engine compartment. Made from sheet metal
- Parts of the sides of the engine compartment. Made form louvre vented sheet aluminium
- A wood template for the curve of the cab roof
- Two rectangular frames that go around the base of the batteries. Made from angled mild steel
- An internal sub-frame on which the bottom of the ends of the engine compartment sit
- Four brake pads. Made from mild steel.
- Three pieces of angled mild steel.
- A control panel. Unsure if it is complete.
- Winding handle for brake control.
- Two short pieces of flat steel.
Work done on the model
- One of the electric motors had been re-conditioned.
- The width of the locomotive had been reduced by cutting of the ends of the xxx.
Work to be done
- Some of the assembled parts have started to rust. Remove them from the assembled, remove the rust and flaky paint, and apply a good primer.
- Reduce the width of the wooden floor so that it will fit through the typical tunnel found on miniature railway tracks in New Zealand.
- Re-condition one of the electric motors
- Make suitable brackets for holding the batteries.
- Replace the wooden ends of the engine compartment and the front panel of the cab with those made of better wood
- Complete the fabrication of the sides of the engine compartment
- Complete the fabrication of the inside layer of the walls of the cab
- Make the roof of the cab
- Make the uprights for the roof
- Make the driver's seat and footplates
- Finish the control panel
- The fixing of the bearings
- Add a radiator cap
- Add dummy bolts
- Brake pads
Possible improvements to what exists
- Fitted bolts
- Filling the extra holes in the journal boxes